Saturday morning I woke up so nervous about the transfer. So nervous that we would get there and find out we didn't have any still growing. Once I got out of bed and got moving, the nerves eased. Phil left to help some friends move, and I took a shower, got dressed, make up, etc. Then, I pretty much just paced the house until he came home. I'm never ready for anything ahead of time. I didn't even know what to do with myself.
Phil got home and we headed for the clinic. C was still sound asleep, but I left a long list to keep him occupied while we were gone. Right before we got to the clinic, I checked my phone and noticed that I had missed a call from them. Aghhh, my stomach started turning and I was back to being a ball of nerves. I wondered if they had called to let us know we didn't have anything to transfer. (Now, this was not the most rational thought, given that the call came a mere five minutes before we were to arrive).
So, Phil drops me off at the door. The door to the surgery center was locked. I hurriedly walked to the other side of the center, wondering what in the world I am going to do if that door is locked too. It wasn't. I should have received instructions to check in at the doctor's office, but I didn't. And, that's why they had called. Big sigh of relief.
They quickly check me and walk me across to the surgery center. Everything went much more quickly on a Saturday morning when the surgery center is actually closed. We go into our room. Disrobe from the waist down. How many times have I done this now?? The answer is A LOT.
Then, the embryologist enters the room. It's Rick. I met him just before the retrieval. They do lots of double checking to make sure I am the right person. He hands me a photograph and says, "These are two of the best embryos I've ever made". Whoa. None of this is turning out the way my pessimistic nature expects. Every report is better news than I could have dreamed of.
Wait. Why are there two embryos in that picture? This is my first indication that the doctor is not going to recommend the single transfer I was hoping for.
Then, my new friend Rick (who is Canadian, by the way) says, "We have four more that look just like this that we are going to go ahead and freeze (I think he actually said Cryopreserve though) today". Alrighty. Normally, they wait until Day 6 to determine which ones will be frozen. But, we have four, FOUR, that look so good (with every indication that they will thaw very well) that they are ready for cryopreservation today. Oh yeah, I just remembered. He then said (I think I was in such shock I blocked this part out), "You're going to have enough for a soccer team." Yowza. As soon as he walks out, Phil says, "How many people are on a soccer team?"
He said that we would get a final report on Monday as to the remaining embryos. He expected there would be more to freeze.
So, then Phil and I are trying (with the nurse still in the room) to discuss how we feel about transferring two. We had made our decision to trust the doctor. But, we would kind of like to know why he's recommending two, when every other indication we've had from him would be that we would transfer one.
So, Dr. T finally makes his entrance. He's very pleased with how things have gone this time. We talk K-State football for a bit. Then, Phil asks. Two reasons, he says. First, I'm not 19. He reassures me that I'm still a young woman (especially in this business) but I am indeed not 19. Second, we've tried before. And, he strongly recommends that we transfer the two.
At this point, I don't feel the tremendous dread at the thought that I expected to. We've seen the two perfect embryos and we really trust that our doctor has our best interests in mind.
So, we proceed. The transfer is much less uncomfortable this time. My bladder wasn't nearly so full. The doctor assured me a couple times that because I'm so thin, that's not a problem. (Thank you for that kindness). And it seemed to go faster this time as well. Before we know it, the catheter is out and we are told to hang out for 15-20 minutes or until my bladder can't take it anymore. In fact, the doctor tells us that we are the last transfer of the day, so we're welcome to stay all day. Ha. Except he knew we wouldn't want to miss the game that night. (He was confident K-State could handle Baylor...oh how I wish he had been right.)
Took it easy the rest of the day. Had friends over for the game. And, while we were bitterly disappointed in K-State's loss, it couldn't take away the fact that it had been a really good day.
No comments:
Post a Comment