Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Retrieval - Success!

Retrieval was yesterday, close to noon.  I slept in as long as I could, since I couldn't have anything to eat or drink before the procedure.  Phil came home shortly after 9:00.  By 9:40, we were on our way to the surgery center.  Things went more smoothly the first time when my procedure was first thing in the morning.  It was much busier this time, and I was getting nervous about the procedure happening right on time.  Apparently, being a little late is no big deal.

So, Dr. G came in before the procedure, said everything looks good and then sat down to chat about K-State football (I had my KSU bag with me...figured it looks more masculine than my purse, so Phil wouldn't mind holding on to it in the lobby).  So, we talked about a potential Oregon/K-State championship. 

Then, I was wheeled back to the operating room.  I was awake for much more of it this time.  Last time, I don't remember anything past the point when they double-checked that my wristband had the right name/birthdate.  This time, I feel like I was awake until JUST before they started.

And then, the next thing I knew I was waking up from the anesthesia. The nurse immediately gave me some medication for the pain/discomfort.  Then, she gave me a little more.  Phil was there and told me that they got 20 eggs.  20 EGGS?!?  That was far more than I hoped for.  And Dr. G thought the quality looked good.  I think I made Phil tell me how many the doctor retrieved several times.  I also like asking what time it is (over and over).  Other than that, I don't think I say much funny stuff when I'm woozy.  I do vaguely remember talking to Phil about a girl in my Awana group that I'm kind of struggling with...but now I have no idea what his advice was. 

Once I was feeling a little less woozy, we left the surgery center, picked up my alterations, got a new battery for Phil's watch and had lunch at Chick-Fil-A.  Then, we headed home.  At that point, it became quite apparent that the milkshake I had with my chicken noodle soup was not a good idea.  Major nausea.  Dropped off the prescription and were going to get a movie but I just wanted to go home and get in bed instead.   So, that's what I did.  Slept off and on through the afternoon.  Read a little.  C came home in a talkative mood.  But, I pretty much just took it easy the rest of the day.

At work today but wishing I were at home.  I'm still pretty uncomfortable.  Wearing my stretchiest dress pants today. 

Starting to get a little anxious for the fertilization report this afternoon...will update then.

No comments: