Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Sono hysto whatever

Back from my visit to the clinic, where I had bloodwork done (just in case I've contracted HIV in the last six months) and a sonohystogram.  I'm determined to keep better track of this whole experience.  I knew I had had this test previously but had no recollection of what it was.  Well, it's not exactly pleasant.  They inject a considerable amount of water along with a small amount of dye into the uterine cavity and then take a good look around to see if there are any concerns, cysts, fibroids, etc. 

Today it was initially very painful.  I'm not sure why.  Once they pulled out whatever medieval contraption they used to get the fluid in, most of the pain subsided. 

According to Dr. T, everything looked "textbook normal" and my ovaries were looking lovely.  As a woman dealing with years of infertility, I really like it when my ovaries are complemented.  It's easy to start to think that everything down there must just be a mess.  :) 

I was able to ask my list of ridiculous questions.  Dr. T is very patient with questions he obviously thinks are unnecessary, but he understands that after someone miscarries, everyone has a suggestion as to what should be tested/changed/etc.  So, he let me ask them all.  He also kindly asked how it was returning to the clinic emotionally.  I appreciated that. 

Additionally, he said that the process will be different this time, since I know what to expect, even in mixing the medicine and giving the injections.  That should take less out of me emotionally than it did during round one.  That sounds good.  And he's hopeful that the supplements I'm taking will make a difference in the number of eggs we are able to retrieve and in their quality.  Only time will tell on that.

As for the bloodwork, I do not know what the technician did to my poor vein, but my arm has hurt all afternoon.  I imagine the bruising will be significant.  Fantastic.

Alright, well I think my next visit is on November 1st.  That still seems quite far away.  And if I remember correctly, it will just be a blood draw that day.  (No telling if I remember correctly though).

Sidenote -  I was able to talk with Nurse C today about their IVF experience and what they are moving towards now.  And, she gave me a significant amount of medicine.  Yay for saving some $$$. 

No comments: