Taking care of Wyatt and Hattie is without a doubt the best job in the world. Last week, we started settling into a routine and even though we completely abandoned it over the weekend, they have done great again this week.
(Okay, after typing all this, I realized it is long and boring, but I'm keeping it just so I can remember. Here's the Cliff Notes - they eat, they poop, they sleep, I pump. The end).
So, here's a little glimpse of what a day looks like (as of today and always subject to change)...
5:00-6:00am - They wake up for their first feeding usually between five and six. We change diapers (which are always poopy these days, always) and get to the business of feeding them. They then get re-swaddled and put back in their rock 'n plays. Usually, they go back to sleep fairly quickly. Then, I pump. And Phil sleeps. And CJ gets himself ready for school.
8:00am - Phil leaves for work and if I'm lucky, he's washed the bottles before he takes off. Most days I sleep until the babies wake up, which is usually right after Phil leaves. So, then it's time for bottle(s) #2. On good days, one baby will sleep until the other has nearly finished feeding. On crazy days, they both want to eat at the same time. I'm just now getting a little better at this. Wyatt eats better when he's held and receiving lots of attention. So, I usually get him in my left arm, prop up Hattie in the boppy and feed her with my right hand while trying to balance his bottle in my left. Once in a while I will put them both in the boppies...hopefully as Wyatt relaxes a little more when eating we'll be able to do this more. After this feeding, I usually try to put them down for some tummy time. They both love tummy time and usually have a nap, instead of working on those neck muscles. Then, I pump again. And make myself some breakfast. And, if I'm doing really well, I even manage to get dressed. And, today I washed bottles as well...whoa. But not breakfast dishes. I'm blogging instead.
11:00am - Time for another round of bottles. Lately, I've been waiting until just before or after this feeding to get them dressed for the day. They don't seem to mind hanging out in their jammies. So, more feeding, burping, diaper changing. We are starting to get a little faster, but it's not unusual for it to take me a good hour to get both of them fed (when not feeding them at the same time). We may read some books after this feeding or sometimes after the earlier one. Then, they will likely play on their play mats for awhile. Or spend time in their swings (this basically happens anytime I can't get them to settle another way...they both love their swings, but fortunately don't need them to sleep, just to settle a bit).
11:45am - Phil comes home for lunch (yay...I can't wait until they recognize the sound of the garage door indicating that daddy is home) and I leave to run (just three days a week). So, daddy plays with babies while eating his lunch. And hopefully changes some diapers while he's here. If I haven't washed the bottles, he usually does that too. He's kind of my hero. If I have time after the run, I jump in the shower before Phil goes back to work.
12:30ish - Often this is when the babies will have a long nap, especially if I swaddle them and put them back in their beds. But, today, they are taking a super long nap in the morning. So, they will be more likely to cat nap in the afternoon. When that's the case, I may take them to run a few errands. We tried to go to the library earlier this week, but Wyatt didn't get the memo that it is quiet place. My sweet, laid back, mostly quiet boy decided to scream. We left quickly. Again, normally, this is nap time, though. And I pump again.
2:00 - Should be time to eat again. It's typically after this feeding that if we are going to leave the house, we do so. I've discovered it is really good for me to do so. Even if I just run to Chick-fil-a to get an iced tea. A change of scenery makes the afternoon go a little more quickly. And hopefully, I find some time to pump again. Blah.
5:00 - Dinner time for babies. And if mommy is organized, CJ can get dinner started for everyone else. I often can get them fed before Phil gets home but not always. All of this really depends on the day. So, after they eat, we try to. If they are going to fuss, this is the time they do so, although not really all that often. The goal is usually to keep them awake until time for their baths and next bottle. I'm finding that they don't often want to wait three hours at this time of day, which actually works great.
7:00-8:00 - Bath time for babies. Again, we are starting to get a system down. The baby that fusses first (or loudest) usually takes the first bath. The bath immediately stops the fussing. Gotta love that. So, for example, last night Hattie had the first bath. Phil bathed her, while I got their pajamas ready and made bottles. Then, I took her from the bath and got her ready for bed, while he bathed Wyatt. I started feeding Hattie and as soon as Phil had Wyatt out of the bath and into jammies, he started feeding him. They were SO tired last night, so as soon as the feedings were over (well, actually, my mom was here and held a baby while Phil finished his dinner...it was interrupted by some major screaming last night), they got swaddled and put in their beds. And they were fast asleep in no time. (It's not always that easy).
8:30-9:30 (depending on when they go down) - We wash bottles. I pump. And somehow that takes us until after 10 every night. If we could just manage to get these things done sooner, we'd actually be getting a fair amount of sleep.
Repeat. With joy.
No comments:
Post a Comment