Tuesday, March 26, 2013

16 week sonogram

I just read back through my entries and realized I never blogger about our last sonogram.  And, now we're less than a week away from our next one.

So, Phil and I went for a sonogram at 16 weeks.  I was surprised that the OB ordered one, because he had previously told me that we wouldn't be having another one until 20 weeks.  I did not question him, though, when he said to schedule it.  No way, Jose.  Whatever you say, doc. 

So, I dutifully filled my bladder and off we went for the sonogram.  By the time we got there, I was so uncomfortable.  Once we got back to the room, I begged the tech to let me empty my bladder a little.  She said yes.  I was so relieved...literally.  (Although it is MUCH harder to stop mid-stream than I expected).  So, back to the room, and onto the table...we ask her if she'll be able to determine the genders.  She says "Yes, definitely".  Okay, so I say, "I guess we should decide if we want to know or not."  She says, "Yes, you do."  And, that's pretty much the end of the discussion.  She does a quick scan of both of the babies and reassures us that the hearts are still beating.  Yay for that.  But they both have their legs crossed.  At this point, I should have said something if we really didn't want to find out the genders.  (And by we, I mean me, because Phil has always wanted to find out).

So, she moves on to measuring Baby A.  She measures the head and the stomach.  When she goes to measure the femur (I think that's what she was measuring), she says, "Oh, this one is definitely..." (And I am certain that she's going to say boy...because I am certain that both of them are boys).  And she says "girl" and I start crying.  I can't believe it.  I really thought they were both boys.  And I would have been thrilled with two more boys.  But, the thought of having a daughter is so exciting. 

So, then, she starts the measurements on Baby B, but she's not having much success.  Apparently my (still) full bladder was squishing the baby.  So, the tech has me go back to the bathroom and completely empty my bladder.  Hallelujah.  We resume the sonogram and she is able to get the measurements much more easily (Baby B has a big head, that's for sure).  And, then she says, "And this one's definitely a boy".  And his parts are a little more distinguishable than hers were.  :) 

So, we are so excited to be having one of each.  I'm so very glad we found out, even though I didn't think I wanted to.  I'm enjoying having this time before their arrival to think about them in gender-specific ways.  I know once they are actually here we likely be a little overwhelmed, so it's good to celebrate this now. 

Next sonogram is scheduled for April 1st.  Can't wait to see them again.

No comments: