Monday, March 11, 2013

The day I freaked out over a cup holder

I don't love this spring forward time change.  And this morning was nothing but confirmation that we should just kick it to the curb.

I woke up at 5:00am (actually, it was 6:00am "new time" but my body doesn't know that yet), listened to my husband get my son off to jazz band practice and tried to go back to sleep, because I had woken up with a nasty headache.  After dozing on and off until 7:30 (real time...and much too late for me to be sleeping on a work day), I drug my headached self out of bed.  Amazingly, the shower seemed to help with the headache.  Things were looking up. 

But, they didn't look up for very long.  I was indeed running terribly late for work.  On mornings like that, I usually have an instant breakfast (you know, like, the chocolate shake type by Carnation).  I also always take a large cup of ice water with me to work.  So, I am dashing out of the house, holding two cups full of liquid, my very heavy purse (because I believe in carrying multiple books with my every where I go), and the burrito I just pulled out of the freezer to take to work for lunch and I open the car door to find that my husband has pushed in my cup holder (it slides out from the console).  This is something he does every single time he gets in my vehicle.  And it drives me batty, because when my hands are full, I need that cup holder to be ready to take one of the two very full cups of liquid that I'm holding. 

Okay, deep breath, I put my cup of water down on the seat, because it actually has a lid on it, unlike my pumped-up chocolate milk, and go to pull out the cup holder.  As soon as I set it down, it tips over, the lid comes off and there goes 24 ounces of ice water all over my seat.  (I should say that I'm so thankful it was the water and not the milk...and equally grateful that we have leather seats).  But, I didn't have the precious minutes to spare that it took to (only partially) clean up the mess. 

I called my dear, sweet husband, who was only driving my car the day before so that he could fill it with gas for me, and proceeded to have a major, tear-filled freak-out over the pushed in cup holder.  It wasn't pretty. 

So, if we could just go back to the "old time", I think that would be good. 

No comments: