Okay, I better write about this before I forget all the details.
My sonogram was scheduled for 9:30am on Monday morning. We got to the office right on time and went back to the examining room. I had dressed for the cold weather, and the examining room was anything but cool. The ultrasound machine puts off some serious heat.
So, we waited and waited. And I sweated and sweated. :) Finally, I wrapped my thin sheet around myself and started pacing the room. I was so nervous. And the waiting was not helping. My husband opened up the door and tried to get some cool air in. We asked the nurse for a cup of water. We ended up waiting nearly an hour.
Finally, Dr. T came in. He asked if I felt pregnant. I said no. As he is inserting the wand, he commented that my numbers were pretty high, which could indicate multiples. (Which is a concern for him). So, my nerves are just through the roof at this point. The wand goes in, I can't tell anything that I'm seeing. But, Dr. T immediately says that he sees two pregnancy sacs. Okay. Not terribly surprised by that, but I'm still doubtful that there are two babies. I thought losing one might explain my change in symptoms over the past week.
So, he zooms in on Baby A. We are exactly 6 weeks at this point. Baby A does not look like much, but we can see the little flicker of a heartbeat. So relieved. Baby A measures 6w1d and has a heartrate of 111bpm. It was wonderful to hear the heartbeat. But, it all happens so fast. I wish we had recorded it, so we could listen again later. Then, he zooms in on Baby B, which looks like nothing basically. I can't see a flicker on this baby, but the sonogram picks up the heartbeat, and though it's much fainter than Baby A, it clocks in at 113bpm and baby measures 5w6d. The doctor said both look completely normal.
Words cannot communicate the relief I felt that everything was okay. And, honestly, the reality of twins is far from setting in. And, I know we have a long way to go. Dr. T was very cautious. He reminded us multiple times that we've been at this place before and to keep taking my medicine. Because of the holidays, we have our next sonogram on December 17th.
After he was done with the sonogram, we talked extensively about my thyroid. Long story short, he wants me on a very low dose of thyroid replacement hormone. So, I started that on Tuesday morning. So far, I've not experienced any of the possible side effects (rapid heart beat, nervousness, etc). Praise the Lord. BUT, the difficult thing about this medicine is it must be taken on an entirely empty stomach. So, I'm to take it right when I get up in the morning and then wait 30-60 minutes to eat. The last couple days, I've been waking up very nauseous. And I think eating would likely help...but I can't eat. This morning, I was pretty sure that pill was going to come right back up. If the nausea gets worse, I will have to find a different time to take the medicine. And definitely need to ask the doctor about it on Monday.
No comments:
Post a Comment