Wednesday, November 20, 2013

From Nap to Now

I spent the hour or so that Wyatt and Hattie were down for their morning nap eating breakfast and reading my book club book.  Normally, I might try to accomplish something more significant, but tomorrow night is book club, and I've only just started the book.  In my life pre-babies, this would have been no problem.  I'd have finished easily.  We'll see if I make it.

So, Hattie starts stirring at about 10:00am.  Because I've been reading I don't have their bottles made for the next feeding just yet.  So, I grab Hattie out of her crib.  I don't want her to wake Wyatt.  At this point I'm hopeful I can get her fed while he sleeps.  I put her down on the play mat while I make both bottles.  Before I am finished, Wyatt is stirring.  Okay, I'll feed both of them at once.  (I kind of like feeding them at the same time)

I take a very upset Wyatt to my room and put him on the boppy while I get the bottles, bibs and burp cloths all situated.  Then I grab Hattie and set her up on the other boppy.  Wyatt goes in my lap for his bottle and I feed Hattie in the boppy.  After a little screaming, we are finally trucking away at meal time.

I notice Hattie isn't quite as focused as she normally is.  Uh-oh.  I have a good idea this means she's about to fill her pants.  Sure enough.  I realize we might have a bit of a problem since girlfriend's been pooping through her diaper every single time these days.  But I just keep feeding them.  A pooped through diaper will cause far less screaming than interrupting their bottles.

Within minutes, Wyatt's eyes are watering and he's starting to strain.  Here comes poop #2.  Well, it's nice that they have this out of the way.  I'm holding him and hoping he hasn't also had a blow out.

Well, bottles are pretty much finished.  As I lean Wyatt forward to burp him with Hattie chilling in the boppy, I see poop all over the back of his jammies (which means I have some on me since I've been holding him the whole time).  I examine Hattie.  Yep, blow out there too.  Great.  (Fortunately, nothing got on the boppy or blanket).

I take Wyatt to the nursery and strap him to the changing table.  I run back for Hattie and put a changing pad liner in the crib to lay her on.  Proceed to change Wyatt who is thoroughly covered.  Run out of wipes in the container in the midst.  Grab more but fail to refill container.  Get him changed and nearly bathed with wipes and dressed for the day.  Set him up in boppy back in our room.

Hattie's turn.  Her blow out is less severe.  I get her changed and dressed for the day.  Back to my room for tummy time for both of them on the boppies.  This is short-lived.  Transfer babies to play mat to play together for a bit.

We think Wyatt may be teething.  He is chewing on his fingers.  I don't even know what to do with a  teething baby.  I get on the computer and look up teethers.  I remember that we actually have a package of teethers.  Now, where is it?  I go to their room, find the package and take them to him.  While in their room, I'm reminded of some unfinished business.  Can't take care of it now.

Offer Wyatt the teether.  He can figure out how to hold it but has no clue how to get it in his mouth.  Babies are both still happily playing on play mat.

Back to computer.  Looking up jumpers/exersaucers as potential Christmas gifts for babies.

Hattie starts fussing.  I can't remember where I put her pacifier.  Pretty sure it's in my room.  As I walk down the hall, I realize the sound machine is still on in their room from nap time.  I go in to turn it off.  Oh yeah, I never took the dirty diapers to the trash.  Oh, and I didn't refill the wipes.  The big bag of wipes is sitting open on the chair.  Better do that first.  Done.  Need to take the diapers out.  I go to my room to put on my shoes.  Oh yeah, I'm still in my pajamas and I'm pretty sure they have poop on them (they're black so I can't be certain).  I better change.  Hmmm, no clean pants.  I think there's a pair in the basement.  Downstairs I go.  Oh right, Hattie needed her pacifier.  Grab it and give it to her.   Back to the getting dressed.  Grab pants from basement.  Actually manage to get dressed.  Wonder why I didn't brush my teeth during their nap.  Wonder if I'll have time to do that before lunch.  Okay, dressed.  Now to get shoes and take out poopy diapers.  Done.

Hattie continues to fuss.  Is it time for another nap?  Must have been.  She goes down with just a little noise.  Let's try to put Wyatt down too.  Nope, not having it.  Okay, to the swing.  Mom to the computer.  Morning is recorded.  And I'm amazed that anything gets accomplished given the constant amount of distraction.

No comments: