Friday, September 06, 2013

Twins Week 6 - first smiles, first colds

Hattie girl gave me a smile just hours after her brother during the middle of the night feeding on August 31st.  And she's getting more and more generous with them.  Wyatt is as well.  Their smiles just melt my heart.

Sadly, they've both contracted their first colds this week.  It's been so hard to watch them struggle with stuffy noses, sneezing and coughs.  Hattie came down with it first, and while talking with the nurse was sufficient on day one, when day two arrived and both of them now had it, a trip to the pediatrician was definitely in order.  My mom came to my rescue and helped me get them to the doctor.  The doctor reassured us that it was an upper respiratory infection, taught us how to suction their noses and checked their temperatures (no fevers).  They have been a little sleepier, a little crankier and haven't eaten quite as well.  After one really rough night, they are back to sleeping pretty well.  I am so thankful for that.  In fact, last night, they took their last feeding at 9:30 and didn't wake up until 4:00am.  I hope this trend continues.

They attended the WRCC Ladies Brunch with me last Saturday and were definitely a hit.  In fact, I hardly saw them while I was there.  There were lots of volunteers to hold them, feed them, change them.  It was great.

We celebrated their first holiday...Labor Day.  Big deal, right?  Phil's family came over for lunch and that was about it.  It was actually kind of a frustrating day.  Having company has been a challenge with two babies.  There is so much people can do to help but often it seems that they just want to hold the babies.  And, in reality, this isn't the most helpful thing.  Now, washing bottles, that is helpful!  :)

Other happenings...I had my 6-week check-up at the OB.  I started running today, for the first time since October.  And, I'm now 1 pound under my pre-pregnancy weight and am no longer wearing maternity clothes.  Yay for that.

One advantage to the colds:  We got their weights at the doctor's office.  Drumroll.....Hattie is now bigger than Wyatt.  We were not the least bit surprised given how girlfriend puts away the food.  She is weighting 8lb13oz and Wyatt is 8lb9oz.  They are both now big enough for the carriers (We have a Baby Bjorn and a Moby, although I haven't quite mastered putting the Moby on yet).

This week was also the 4th anniversary of Christopher's adoption.  We didn't manage any kind of big celebration this year.  He and I took a quick trip to Target and through the drive-thru at Chick-fil-a.  It was actually a fun outing, and I realized after the fact that it was the first time he and I had been alone together since the babies arrived.  He talked the whole time.

A few pictures from this past week:

Labor Day Smiles

Dressed up for church

Homework with a Helper

1 comment:

Being Robinson said...

oh my goodness, they are so precious! the picture of big brother holding his sister melted my heart.

congrats on coming back to running! i bet that feels fantastic.