Monday, January 07, 2013

Ten Weeks Today

Ten weeks.  It's hard to believe we've made it this far.  In fact, I was rather certain we hadn't leading up to last week's sonogram.  I felt like all my symptoms had vanished right at 8 weeks, a time when I thought they were supposed to be the strongest.  And, because I can't seem to stay away from the internet, I was worried about every possible thing. 

So, we had our third sonogram on Wednesday, January 2nd.  I was 9 weeks 2 days.  One day past where we lost the last baby.  And I was (what I considered) well prepared to get bad news.  Once again, as soon as the picture appeared on the screen, we could tell that things looked better than expected.  There had definitely been growth since the last sonogram.  And once the doctor zoomed in, we could see the little heart flickering away (on Baby A at least).  Baby A continues to be the one that is easier to find, measure, etc.  It seems to be the more demanding of the two..."Look at me!!"  Baby A measured 9w3d with a heartrate of 182bpm.  Baby B seems way more chill.  Funny, I think of Baby B very naturally as a boy.  I don't necessarily identify Baby A with a gender yet.  Baby B measured 9w1d with a heartrate of 167bpm. 

The doctor said everything looks fabulously normal.  And tried to reassure me that the absence of symptoms in not necessarily a bad thing.  He did not succeed.  :)

We scheduled one last appointment at the clinic (in two weeks), and he asked me to go ahead a schedule an appointment with my OB.  I must admit I'm hesitant to do so, since I had done that last time.  (I know I need to and will, just haven't yet). 

I've actually had my strongest symptoms since then.  The nausea arrived at last.  It seems to come and go and doesn't always stay very long.  I've also had a lot of headaches.  I look forward to those easing up a bit. 

I'm a little overwhelmed as I read about having twins.  Apparently, I need to be consuming quite a few more calories than I have been.  And LOTS of protein.  And protein is just not that appealing these days.  And LOTS of water as well.  I've read in several different places now that the more weight you gain early with twins, the better.  So far, I haven't gained a pound.  In order to gain the recommended 28 pounds by 28 weeks, I'm going to have to start packing it on.  And I'm just not that hungry.  And when I do eat, I can't eat a lot.  So, I need to go to the store and get some string cheese, some yogurt, some peanut butter I can bring to work, etc.  All snacks need to include protein.  Ughh.  I do love the chocolate milk from the snack bar downstairs.  That will hopefully help.  Also, I need to hard boil some eggs.  I don't know how I will ever manage to consume enough protein. 

The coolest part of this past week, though, has been noticing the changes in my abdomen.  It's starting to get hard.  I'm fascinated.  I can finally stop touching my breasts to make sure they're sore and can start touching my stomach.  Ha! 

No comments: