Thursday, October 02, 2014

Something Tasty

So, I used to have a recipe blog.  And a book blog.  I wish I still kept up with both, but since that doesn't seem to be realistic these days, I thought I might post some food/book stuff here in the midst of all the baby pictures.

Last week, I made a new recipe that I've had pinned for ages, and it was delicious.  And, even better, it was fast and easy.  We polished off the whole thing.

Spicy Sausage Pasta from Kevin & Amanda (check out their blog for pictures)
This did have a kick, so if you are not a fan of spicy food, you might try mild Ro-Tel.


1 tbsp olive oil 
1 lb smoked sausage (The packages these days are only 12 oz, but it was enough)
1.5 cups diced onion (I used one onion.  They recommend using frozen diced onions)
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles, Mild
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz penne pasta
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions
1. Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. (It took me longer than this, and then I drained the fat off the sausage/onions...I'm pretty sure I didn't even need the oil) Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. 
2. Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.
3. Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly.

Gratuitous Baby Picture - reading some books



No comments: