Wyatt and Hattie had their 9-month appointment on April 30th. We had been in to the doctor two days before because they had colds/fevers over the weekend. That day they weighed them with their clothes on, and Wyatt was quite a bit heavier than I expected. But, I chalked it up to him being fully clothed, with a wet diaper, just had a bottle and hadn't pooped for 2 days.
I've learned (finally) from previous appointments that we should have them weight Wyatt first. Hattie usually goes first and never weighs as much as I hope, so then I know Wyatt is not going to weigh what I had hoped. The difference between them feels pretty significant. So, Wyatt went first. And he weighed 16 pounds and 6 ounces. It's still very much. And still below the 2nd percentile. But, he's above the 1st percentile now! And I was just hoping for something over 15 pounds. He's also 28 inches long (37th percentile) and his head circumference is 47.5 cm (96th percentile...down from the 97th. Yay).
Hattie is maintaining her two pound advantage, weighing in at 18 pounds and 6 ounces (39th percentile). She is also 28 inches long (62nd percentile) and her head circumference is 45.5cm (90 percentile).
It was a good appointment. The doctor didn't seem as concerned about Wyatt's size. He continues to grow. He likely just has a very high metabolic rate. Given the amount that the boy moves, this is not surprising to us.
They are sitting up well now. Neither seems quite interested in crawling, although Hattie did push up on all fours yesterday for the first time. She actually spends quite a bit of time pushing herself backwards while on her belly. I often find her caught under a chair or backed into a corner. Wyatt pretty much flips over every single time you put him on his tummy. But the boy can turn himself around on his bottom so easily. It's cute.
They still don't sleep super well, sadly. But we do have good nights here and there. Last night, Wyatt actually slept from 7:15pm until 5:40am. I was freaking out at about 3am when he still hadn't gotten up for his first feeding. Yep, he still eats twice at night. Hattie is mostly down to one feeding at night. She tends to wake up between 11pm-1am to eat and then will sleep until 5:30-6:30am. Unfortunately, she then fully intends to be awake for the day.
I finally took my friend Lesli's advice and separated them at nap time. It's made a huge difference. Hattie sleeps downstairs in the pack and play and she naps like a rock star now. We regularly get 2 hour naps from her. We're still doing good to get Wyatt to nap for an hour at a time. But, we are moving towards 2 naps a day instead of 3-4, and I'm hoping that helps him eventually. This morning he only slept for 30 minutes. Not cool, Wy.
We are taking a bit of a hybrid approach to solids, mostly baby-led weaning but a little spoon feeding, especially for Wyatt, who prefers to be spoon fed. Hattie is doing a great job of self-feeding. Wyatt is doing well too, but he loses interest much sooner. They eat oatmeal, eggs, french toast (this morning was the first time for this) waffles, yogurt, fruit, Cheerios for breakfast. For dinner, it's often toast with hummus, meatballs, squash and zucchini, broccoli, tortilla, rice, beans, avocado (we just discovered that Wyatt likes to pick up mashed up avocado and self feed), more yogurt, a some purees. We took them to Chipotle the other night and got a kids meal. They loved the rice, beans and cheese quesadilla. It was awesome. And messy. And I'm pretty sure everyone in line was judging us for the mess we left. I did ask an employee for a broom. They said no.
They love to clap their hands and play patty cake. Some days we can get Wyatt to tell you what a monkey, dog and kitty says. And I'm pretty sure he's trying to say "all done" at meal times. Hattie has eight teeth and LOVES to show them off. Wyatt has two on bottom and I think the top two just came through. Hattie loves her daddy and tries desperately to get to him and away from mommy as soon as he gets home. Wyatt reaches for both of us.
I could say so much more but I have a hungry baby. So that will be all for now.
We are taking them to their first swim class next week...should be fun. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment